So I had a happy pregnancy. Like the one even the medical books don’t even say. It was normal than normal. Seriously freaky normal. I had an amazing time with F (my hubby). So for the nine month of my life I was enjoying it all and life seemed so smooth. I thought this is how the “after birth” is going to be. NO. It was not. It was beyond my wildest dreams. It was so hard that I would never have comprehended. Mainly because I was under the illusion of everything going smoothly because of an amazing pregnancy.
It was so good that we decided not to get any help. We did not let any body know that I was in labor and we needed help. Our parents even offered to come and help us from back home ( we live far far away from USA).
So, long story short…it was hard and I should have gotten some help. NO, I should have accepted some help.
Anyways, for mommies-to-be who do not have any help, here is my list of thing I wish I had done when having a baby:
- Get all the help offered, seriously. Don’t think you and your partner alone will be able to do it. Especially for the first time parents, it is gonna be damn hard.
- READ READ READ. Please read all the information you can find online, in books. As much as you read about your pregnancy, you should read about what will happen after the baby. Expecting it to be a smooth car ride, na-aan ! Its NOT. Read especially about how is it gonna effect your life. How will things change for you
- LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN…. yes ! listen to moms who give u advice. Not the ones who will tell u crazy stuff, but one mommy friend that you trust.
- Give your baby to nursery at night when you are at the hospital. After the labor n delivery no matter how much you wanna be with the new angel, send the baby to nursery at least for night and sleep the night. If you don’t take rest the first day is gonna be hardest of your life when u bring the baby home.
- SLEEP…sleep when the baby sleeps, yeah I heard that, I didn’t do that. I made a mistake. Sleep as soon as the baby sleeps. No matter how much you want to just relax away from the sound of crying. Go to sleep ! take many naps.
- First day of baby life, u r actually gonna question why u had him. The next few weeks you might resent him
- You are gonna cry the first few weeks, its the baby blues. It will go away !! Trust me. You will feel terrible but it will go away.
- Post par tum depression is as normal as u can think. Expect it..get help.
- Stock up some yummy food at home, you will need it.
- Take a hell lot of pics. They grow out faster than u know.
The most important thing, believe in yourself ! No not your previous self, you new self. You are a mommy and u have a baby. Believe in you being a mommy… My life changed when I started believing in the mom inside me.